Biometrics provide a means of identifying someone based upon one or more physical characteristics. They often act as both identification and authentication mechanisms and fall into a category of authentication factors known as "something you are." In this video, you will learn how biometric measures may be used as identification mechanisms.
- [Instructor] Biometrics provide a means…of identifying someone based upon one or more…physical characteristics of that person.…They often serve as both identification…and authentication mechanisms and fall into a category…of authentication factors known as something you are.…Good biometric authentication techniques…balance the difficulty of use with a degree…of security that they provide.…Effective systems provide easy enrollment,…the initial setup of a user may require…administrator assistance but it is accomplished…fairly quickly and with a minimum of fuss.…
They also provide low false acceptance rates.…They don't admit unauthorized people inadvertently.…At the same time, they have low false rejection rates.…They don't turn away people who should be admitted.…And finally, they have low intrusiveness.…They pass the creepiness test with users.…There are a wide variety of biometric…authentication techniques in use today.…Fingerprint readers are commonly found on laptop computers,…smartphones, tablets, and similar devices.…
Looking for study partners?Join the CISSP Exam study group
Prepare for the CISSP exam while you learn industry best practices for identity and access management (IAM). IAM is covered in the fifth domain of the exam, and comprises 13% of the test questions for the highly prized IT security certification. This course includes coverage of the core components of IAM: identification, authentication, authorization, and accountability. Learn how to control both the physical and logical access to your hardware, information systems, and data. Instructor Mike Chapple, the author of our nine-part CISSP test prep series, also covers credential management, external identity management, and prevention and mitigation of access control attacks. Members who take all eight courses in the series will be prepared to take the CISSP exam.
You can sign up for Mike's free study group at certmike.com, and find his study guides at the Sybex test prep site. To review the complete CISSP Body of Knowledge, visit https://www.isc2.org/cissp-domains/default.aspx.
- Identity and access management overview
- Identification mechanisms: user names, access cards, biometrics, and registration
- Authentication factors
- Password authentication protocols
- Identity as a service (IDaaS)
- Enforcing accountability
- Managing credentials with policies
- Using access control lists
- Defending against access control attacks
Skill Level Advanced
1. Identity and Access Management
5. Credential Management
7. Access Control Attacks
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.