Information security professionals tackle a wide variety of risks in their roles. These vary from earthquakes and tornadoes, to hackers and viruses. In this video, learn how information security professionals assess the various threats facing their organizations.
- Information security professionals…tackle a wide variety of risks in their roles.…These vary from earthquakes and tornadoes,…to hackers and viruses.…The sheer quantity of forces aligned against you…may sometimes be a little overwhelming.…Fortunately, we have risk assessment tools…at our disposal that can help us prioritize our response.…First, we need a common language.…In everyday life, people often use the terms…"threat", "vulnerability", and "risk" interchangeably.…
They are actually three different concepts.…A threat is some external force…that jeopardizes the security…of your information and systems.…Threats might be naturally occurring,…such as hurricanes and wildfires,…or manmade, such as hacking and terrorism.…You can't normally control what threats are out there.…They exist independently.…Vulnerabilities are weaknesses in your security controls…that a threat might exploit to undermine…the confidentiality, integrity, or availability…of your information or systems.…
These might include missing patches,…
- Risk management actions
- Ongoing risk management
- Risk management frameworks
- Scanning for threats and vulnerabilities
- Advanced vulnerability scanning
- Monitoring log files
- Code review and code tests
- Test coverage analysis
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 05/18/2018. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover identifying threats, understanding attacks, technology and process remediation, remediating vulnerabilities, and security monitoring. In addition, the following topics were updated: risk management and monitoring log files.
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Intermediate
1. Risk Management
2. Threat Modeling
3. Threat Assessment
4. Remediating Vulnerabilites
5. Security Monitoring
6. Software Testing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.