Algorithms may affect whether a person lives or dies by misdiagnosing a medical condition, denying a person needed support, or placing a person in a dangerous situation. Given the ultimate stakes involved, the methods used by developers need to be dramatically different than those used by, say, music recommendation engines.
- [Instructor] It's great that your photo application…can tell cats aparts from bicycles…without you even having to tell it.…That's AI in everyday life.…But, AI can play an important role…in situations that are potentially life and death…and I'm referring to things beyond self driving cars…and military technology.…Three areas where AI might have that kind of effect…are for example, manufacturing.…Industrial robots have been in place for 40 years…but their ability to work in close proximity to…and in coordination with human workers…has been rapidly developing.…
Or medicine, industrial robots are now used…to perform brain biopsies and retinal surgeries…and AI is used to diagnose diseases…from Xrays, MRIs and EKGs.…Or air travel.…Auto pilot can take over nearly all of the flight functions…above 3000 feet and auto land technology…can land the plane safely even in dense fog.…And in every one of these situations,…there's a possibility of somebody getting hurt…rather badly or possibly even dying.…Now, here's the problem.…
- Bias in AI
- Navigating the social challenges of AI
- Moral reasoning and relational ethics
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and AI
- Discrimination in data
- Liability and AI
- AI in life-and-death situations
- Confronting the challenges of AI as a developer, executive, and consumer
Skill Level Intermediate
1. The Context for AI
2. Technical Challenges of AI
3. Social Challenges of AI
4. Legal Challenges of AI
5. Safety Challenges of AI
AI in the military4m 36s
6. Confronting the Challenges of AI
Next steps2m 52s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.