Discover the CPU/processor's role in the computer system. Find out how to gauge a processor: by name, cores, and speed. Learn what "gigahertz" means. Find out which processor is in your PC and how to upgrade a processor.
- [Instructor] Central to a computer system…is the CPU, which stands for central processing unit.…It's the main chip, the computers's traffic cop,…and it's the base upon which the computer's architecture…is built.…In this movie, I explore the processors available…on modern computers, how these processors are measured,…and the role they play in the computer system.…One thing to get out of the way first…is that the processor isn't the computer's brain.…The processor is hardware.…It follows orders, and those orders are given by software.…
In a PC, the software in charge…is the operating system such as Windows 10.…Windows gives orders to the processor,…telling it what to do and how to control…the rest of the computer.…At the most simple level, however,…a processor is really a very fast…and complicated calculator.…It performs billions of calculations per second,…but all its decisions and operations…are dictated by software.…Your computer may have more than one processor.…These dedicated chips may control…a specific part of the system.…
This course is designed to provide a detailed introduction to PC hardware and peripherals. The fundamentals of storage, processing, graphics, audio, displays, and networks are covered. Whether you're a budding IT professional or someone who seeks a deeper understanding of how devices works, you can gain a foundation of help desk knowledge by examining the steps and techniques demonstrated in this course.
- Looking inside the computer console
- Working with connectors and connections
- Exploring the motherboard
- Working with internal and external storage
- Working with processors
- Examining memory and expansion cards
- Configuring the graphics system
- Working with monitors and touch screens
- Accessing audio
- Exploring printer types
- Connecting and configuring the printer
- Making network connections
- Setting up gateways
- Sharing network resources
- Activating and deactivating Bluetooth
Skill Level Beginner
1. Hardware Overview
2. Console Tour
3. Internal Features
Preparing mass storage6m 55s
5. PC Graphics System
6. Input/Output Devices
7. Printers and Printing
Exploring printer types3m 19s
9. Bluetooth and Bluetooth Peripherals
Understanding Bluetooth3m 10s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.