Review important items on the motherboard: the CPU or processor, chipset or BIOS, memory, expansion cards, and various input/output connectors. Learn how to tell which CPU is in your PC. Discover how much RAM is in the PC.
- [Instructor] At the heart of the computer…is the motherboard.…It's home for the most important parts…of a computer system,…which makes it an extremely technical and scary place.…But that's only when you get lost in the mire…of part numbers and brand names.…At the descriptive level,…the motherboard is pretty tame.…In this movie, I explore the various items…you'll find on a computer's motherboard.…I'll describe what each one does,…how it's measured or gauged,…and how it fits into the entire computer system.…The type of motherboard you have in your computer…determines a lot of technical information.…
For example, which processor it can use,…the type of memory required,…which features are available, and so on.…All that information is trivial.…That's because it's rare and expensive…to simply change a motherboard on a computer.…It's actually cheaper to get a whole new computer.…But people remain curious.…Aside from opening up a computer…and looking at the product descriptions…stenciled on the motherboard,…you can run the DirectX diagnostic tool in Windows 10…
This course is designed to provide a detailed introduction to PC hardware and peripherals. The fundamentals of storage, processing, graphics, audio, displays, and networks are covered. Whether you're a budding IT professional or someone who seeks a deeper understanding of how devices works, you can gain a foundation of help desk knowledge by examining the steps and techniques demonstrated in this course.
- Looking inside the computer console
- Working with connectors and connections
- Exploring the motherboard
- Working with internal and external storage
- Working with processors
- Examining memory and expansion cards
- Configuring the graphics system
- Working with monitors and touch screens
- Accessing audio
- Exploring printer types
- Connecting and configuring the printer
- Making network connections
- Setting up gateways
- Sharing network resources
- Activating and deactivating Bluetooth
Skill Level Beginner
1. Hardware Overview
2. Console Tour
3. Internal Features
Preparing mass storage6m 55s
5. PC Graphics System
6. Input/Output Devices
7. Printers and Printing
Exploring printer types3m 19s
9. Bluetooth and Bluetooth Peripherals
Understanding Bluetooth3m 10s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.