Review how memory is used in a PC. What is a SIMM or DIMM? Understand memory cards and memory slots. Learn about gauging memory types, capacity, how memory is installed inside a PC, and upgrading memory.
- [Narrator] Memory is the computers playground.…It's temporary storage where the processor…manipulates data and you do the wonderful things you do…with your PC.…In this movie I explore the various aspects…of computer memory.…How it works, definitions, how to determine…how much memory is in your PC…and how to add more memory…should you desire to do so.…Officially, memory is called RAM,…which stands for random-access memory.…The chips themselves are called DRAM,…which stands for dynamic random-access memory.…
This type of memory differs from ROM or read-only memory,…which contains permanent instructions or other information…that cannot be changed.…An example of ROM is the computer's firmware…on the motherboard.…Computers also use flash memory called NOR flash officially.…The NOR represents the logical not or or neither operator.…Flash memory works like RAM in that it can be changed…but it doesn't require a constant flow of electricity…to be maintained.…
Flash memory is used in thumb drives, media cards,…solid-state drives or SSDs, but it's not quite fast enough…
This course is designed to provide a detailed introduction to PC hardware and peripherals. The fundamentals of storage, processing, graphics, audio, displays, and networks are covered. Whether you're a budding IT professional or someone who seeks a deeper understanding of how devices works, you can gain a foundation of help desk knowledge by examining the steps and techniques demonstrated in this course.
- Looking inside the computer console
- Working with connectors and connections
- Exploring the motherboard
- Working with internal and external storage
- Working with processors
- Examining memory and expansion cards
- Configuring the graphics system
- Working with monitors and touch screens
- Accessing audio
- Exploring printer types
- Connecting and configuring the printer
- Making network connections
- Setting up gateways
- Sharing network resources
- Activating and deactivating Bluetooth
Skill Level Beginner
1. Hardware Overview
2. Console Tour
3. Internal Features
Preparing mass storage6m 55s
5. PC Graphics System
6. Input/Output Devices
7. Printers and Printing
Exploring printer types3m 19s
9. Bluetooth and Bluetooth Peripherals
Understanding Bluetooth3m 10s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.