Understand the role of the drive cage, how drives are inserted, where to insert them, whether they use the punch-out panels, drive form factors, and how to attach the data and power cables to strange devices.
- [Narrator] A major part of the PC's console…and one factor that sets the console's size…is the drive cage.…This array of slots and rails is…where mass storage devices are kept.…In this movie I explore the drive cage…and how it works inside a typical PC case.…Laptops, all-in-ones and other small form factor PC's…lack a drive case.…In those devices the drive is a permanent fixture,…chosen for it small profile and neatly integrated…into the unit.…
In a mini-tower model PC however,…the console is designed for expansion,…both for extra disk drives as well as expansion cards.…In fact a tower PC model is so large because it sports…multiple expansion slots and lots of room for extra storage…in the drive cage.…Those two big items worthy of expansion are…expansion cards, which plug into slots on the motherboard,…and internal storage which roosts in the drive cage.…
These two factors are what ultimately determines…the console's dimensions.…The drive cage accepts two sizes of storage units.…The five and a quarter inch half height…
This course is designed to provide a detailed introduction to PC hardware and peripherals. The fundamentals of storage, processing, graphics, audio, displays, and networks are covered. Whether you're a budding IT professional or someone who seeks a deeper understanding of how devices works, you can gain a foundation of help desk knowledge by examining the steps and techniques demonstrated in this course.
- Looking inside the computer console
- Working with connectors and connections
- Exploring the motherboard
- Working with internal and external storage
- Working with processors
- Examining memory and expansion cards
- Configuring the graphics system
- Working with monitors and touch screens
- Accessing audio
- Exploring printer types
- Connecting and configuring the printer
- Making network connections
- Setting up gateways
- Sharing network resources
- Activating and deactivating Bluetooth
Skill Level Beginner
1. Hardware Overview
2. Console Tour
3. Internal Features
Preparing mass storage6m 55s
5. PC Graphics System
6. Input/Output Devices
7. Printers and Printing
Exploring printer types3m 19s
9. Bluetooth and Bluetooth Peripherals
Understanding Bluetooth3m 10s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.