Join David Pultorak for an in-depth discussion in this video How to do it: Steps, part of Putting ITIL® Into Practice: Problem Management Techniques.
- [Voiceover] To do Service Outage Analysis,…we pick a group of related, significant outages.…We list the root causes,…and we identify action items to address them.…Ranking them based on the risk and impact of failures,…and the costs and effort required to address them.…We pick a subset of the highest ranking action items,…and seek approval to move forward with them,…and then communicate our analysis and action items…to key stakeholders.…The first step in Service Outage Analysis,…is to choose a set of related outages you want to analyze.…You can group outages for analysis,…by any criteria you find useful.…
For example, you can group by supplier,…product, service, application, customer, platform,…region, or time period.…Now tag the most significant outages,…so you can focus your analysis on them,…to make the most of your time and effort.…Typically, the most significant outages,…have had the longest duration,…and/or impact on the business.…This step is about applying the Pareto Principle.…About focusing your efforts on the 20% of outages,…
- Ishikawa diagrams
- Kepner-Tregoe root cause analysis
- Fault tree analysis
- Component failure impact analysis
- Service outage analysis
- Post-implementation and major problem review
ITIL® trainer David Pultorak outlines the what, why, where, and how of each technique, and provide examples so you can practice with the goal of placing each technique into "muscle memory." He examines the 4 Ps that can contribute to or help resolve every problem—people, processes, products, and partners—and provides tips on where to go next.
Skill Level Intermediate
Transitioning from Waterfall to Agile Project Managementwith Kelley O'Connell1h 32m Appropriate for all
Putting ITIL® Into Practice: Problem Management Techniques
2. Ishikawa Diagram
3. Kepner-Tregoe Root Cause Analysis
4. Fault Tree Analysis
5. Component Failure Impact Analysis
6. Service Outage Analysis
7. Post-Implementation and Major Problem Review
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.