Join David Pultorak for an in-depth discussion in this video How to do it: Example, part of Putting ITIL® into Practice: Problem Management Techniques.
- [Voiceover] Now that you've seen the steps…to cause-effect analysis, let's look at a real-world example…to help drive what you've learned home.…The team assembles to work the problem,…when it's noticed that no backups have been completing…for some time for the Legato SharePoint Team Site.…As a result,…the development team has lost a good bit of work,…which will likely jeopardize the project's schedule.…The team writes down not just what is occurring…but who's impacted:…Legato developers and the marketing department,…and how and by how much.…They work hard to ensure they surface evidence…to support the existence of the problem.…
The facilitator makes a synopsis of the problem statement…and puts it up on the board on the far right.…She then draws an arrow right-to-left across the middle.…The facilitator now draws the fishbones,…that is, arrows pointing at angles back to the trunk,…and labels each with the cause category.…The facilitator then draws branches,…horizontal arrows pointing to the bones of the fish.…
- Ishikawa diagrams
- Kepner-Tregoe root cause analysis
- Fault tree analysis
- Component failure impact analysis
- Service outage analysis
- Post-implementation and major problem review
ITIL® trainer David Pultorak outlines the what, why, where, and how of each technique, and provide examples so you can practice with the goal of placing each technique into "muscle memory." He examines the 4 Ps that can contribute to or help resolve every problem—people, processes, products, and partners—and provides tips on where to go next.
Skill Level Intermediate
Transitioning from Waterfall to Agile Project Managementwith Kelley O'Connell1h 32m Appropriate for all
IT Service Management: ISO20000with Suzanne Van Hove4h 50m Advanced
Putting ITIL® Into Practice: Problem Management Techniques
2. Ishikawa Diagram
3. Kepner-Tregoe Root Cause Analysis
4. Fault Tree Analysis
5. Component Failure Impact Analysis
6. Service Outage Analysis
7. Post-Implementation and Major Problem Review
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.