To begin your exploration of the UV mapping tools in Houdini, take a look at the UV Unwrap node. Learn about what mapping types this node makes available and how you can adjust them to suit your mesh.
- [Instructor] When applying bitmaps to a surface…as a texture, mapping coordinates are essential.…And so, whether we are doing final renders…in our DCC application and render engine of choice…or exporting our mesh for texturing in an application…such as Substance Designer, Painter,…or even the Unreal Engine, we will need to make sure…that our mesh is ready for whatever we want.…Meaning we will need to add mapping coordinates to it.…In fact, in this exercise, we are going to take a look at…a workflow for applying mapping coordinates in Houdini…that actually gives us several mapping methods…from which to choose.…
We can do this by going to our scene graph…and double clicking to enter the head Geometry node.…Now because our legs have mapping,…if we have our object visibility or ghosting options…set to Show All Objects, we may at times…during our project be cluttering up the UV view.…And so, to ensure we avoid this situation,…let's gone to the view port ghosting controls…and set this to Ghost Other Objects.…If you are using Houdini 16 or in some situations…
- UV mapping basics
- Controlling how UV mapping handles scale
- Displaying viewport maps correctly
- Testing and resetting UVs
- Choosing a texture type
- Mapping NURBS and Bézier surfaces
- Making UV seams
- Grouping, storing, and reusing UV seam selections
- Using seams with pelt mapping
- Selecting and manipulating UVs
- Sewing shared points
- Installing the Game Development Toolset
Skill Level Intermediate
Houdini: Advanced Motion Graphicswith Scott Pagano4h 23m Advanced
1. UV Mapping Basics
2. UV Texture and Project Options
3. UV Seams, Pelt, and Flatten
4. The UV Edit Node
5. Game Development Tool Kit
Next steps1m 6s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.