Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video What you should know, part of Mastering UVW Mapping in Houdini 16.5.
- [Instructor] As we work through this UVW mapping course I will be showing you how to access the tools and controls found inside the Houdini 16.5 user interface, and will for the most part be calling out keyboard shortcuts or hotkeys as and when we use them. I would like to point out before we get going, however, that you will benefit from being at least reasonably familiar with the Houdini application before starting this course. And by familiar I mean that you know how to perform basic Houdini operations such as viewport navigation, object selection, node creation and so on.
If you are new to Houdini and so need to learn the essential elements of the program before being ready to follow along here, then I would recommend checking out some of the training already on SideFX.com, such as their own getting starting learning path found at SideFX.com/learn/. Understanding how to work with Houdini 16's mesh modeling toolset would probably be helpful as well, and given that much of the terminology and workflow used for modeling has been carried over into the UVW mapping process, making the toolset both familiar and easy to use for artists who like to work with their own models.
- UV mapping basics
- Controlling how UV mapping handles scale
- Displaying viewport maps correctly
- Testing and resetting UVs
- Choosing a texture type
- Mapping NURBS and Bézier surfaces
- Making UV seams
- Grouping, storing, and reusing UV seam selections
- Using seams with pelt mapping
- Selecting and manipulating UVs
- Sewing shared points
- Installing the Game Development Toolset