With the groups in place, it is time to learn what the Pelt node can do. How the seams and parameters work together to unwrap a complex shape is what you take a look at here, including the strength and quality settings.
- [Instructor] To create good UV unwraps on organic objects,…a technique that we might want to try out…is that of pelt mapping.…What is pelt mapping, I hear you ask?…Well, the clue quite literally is in the name,…and for hundreds of years people have used animal hides…or pelts for shelter and for clothing.…To make the hide usable once taken from an animal,…they would be stretched over a wooden frame…by attaching ties to certain points of the hide.…After attaching these to the frame,…they would then be tightened and left to dry.…This process, although very simply described…by me here, would leave you with a usable and durable pelt,…a method that our 3D software can emulate…in order to give us a usable UV mapping solution,…stretching or flattening out complex and complicated shapes…in a way that textures can be assigned to them.…
Let's make sure our views are framed up then,…and that our graph is focused on the group…that we created earlier, which we will use…to drive our pelt mapping process.…Let's press the tab key then, and search for the word pelt…
- UV mapping basics
- Controlling how UV mapping handles scale
- Displaying viewport maps correctly
- Testing and resetting UVs
- Choosing a texture type
- Mapping NURBS and Bézier surfaces
- Making UV seams
- Grouping, storing, and reusing UV seam selections
- Using seams with pelt mapping
- Selecting and manipulating UVs
- Sewing shared points
- Installing the Game Development Toolset
Skill Level Intermediate
Houdini: Advanced Motion Graphicswith Scott Pagano4h 23m Advanced
1. UV Mapping Basics
2. UV Texture and Project Options
3. UV Seams, Pelt, and Flatten
4. The UV Edit Node
5. Game Development Tool Kit
Next steps1m 6s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.