To make your textures look good, you need them to be at a correct scale. The human eye is very quick to spot when scales are off. This means you need to know how UV mapping handles scale and what you can do to control it.
- With a basic understanding in hand…as to why we need U.V.W. mapping in our 3D application,…let's try to lock down another basic…and yet important concept.…And that is to understand how U.V.W. space…relates to the scale or size of the objects…that we have in our scene.…Well, a good place to start is with a clear reminder…that U.V.W. coordinates neither deal with…nor report distances or scale…in the same way that the Cartesian or X, Y, Zed system does.…
Using the Cartesian system,…distances can be measured along specific axes in 3D space.…Using very specific and oftentimes…real world unit types and intervals,…such as feet, inches, meters, centimeters, etc. etc.…U.V. coordinates, however, are measured and reported…as a width to height percentage of the surface…to which they are applied.…This is because U.V.W. maps make use…of what is referred to as a zero to one space,…where any value between zero to one…represents a percentage of the U.V.W. map…as applied to a geometric surface,…a respective of its actual scale in the scene.…
- UV mapping basics
- Controlling how UV mapping handles scale
- Displaying viewport maps correctly
- Testing and resetting UVs
- Choosing a texture type
- Mapping NURBS and Bézier surfaces
- Making UV seams
- Grouping, storing, and reusing UV seam selections
- Using seams with pelt mapping
- Selecting and manipulating UVs
- Sewing shared points
- Installing the Game Development Toolset
Skill Level Intermediate
Houdini: Advanced Motion Graphicswith Scott Pagano4h 23m Advanced
1. UV Mapping Basics
2. UV Texture and Project Options
3. UV Seams, Pelt, and Flatten
4. The UV Edit Node
5. Game Development Tool Kit
Next steps1m 6s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.