Getting the most your of texture resolution can really help sell the quality of a texture. To do this, you may want to stack similar UV clusters on top of one another. The UV Stacker node helps you do this automatically and with relative ease.
- [Instructor] There will be times…when texturing objects that we will want every part…of the mesh to have unique details…in both its material and final look.…But there will also be times when time itself,…texture resolution, or just plan old memory constraints…mean that, well, we need to stack UV islands…that are either identical or very similar…right on top of each other.…Enter our last UV tool for the course, the UV stacker.…As its name suggests, this node will look at our UV islands,…decide which of them share polygons and shapes…that make them a match and then stack them…one on top of the other, thus allowing us…to maximize texture resolution.…
In fact, the extra space gained may mean…that we can drop the overall texture size…but actually keep the same texture resolution.…Doing this will certainly save on memory usage…which, for situations such as…game development, is brilliant.…In our robot legs graph, somewhere just before…the UV quick shade node, let's press the tab key…and then search for and add a UV stacker node.…
- UV mapping basics
- Controlling how UV mapping handles scale
- Displaying viewport maps correctly
- Testing and resetting UVs
- Choosing a texture type
- Mapping NURBS and Bézier surfaces
- Making UV seams
- Grouping, storing, and reusing UV seam selections
- Using seams with pelt mapping
- Selecting and manipulating UVs
- Sewing shared points
- Installing the Game Development Toolset
Skill Level Intermediate
Houdini: Advanced Motion Graphicswith Scott Pagano4h 23m Advanced
1. UV Mapping Basics
2. UV Texture and Project Options
3. UV Seams, Pelt, and Flatten
4. The UV Edit Node
5. Game Development Tool Kit
Next steps1m 6s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.