Good UV layout is key to getting the best texture resolution and quality when it comes time to setting up your materials. Take a look at the UV Layout node and how you can change padding, positions, and quality.
- [Instructor] After getting our UV mapping…nicely sorted out, we will probably want to make sure…that we are using the full zero to one space…and resolution available in our texture.…Because of this, we have access…to the UV layout node in Houdini.…Now some UV mapping tools already contain…a few of the features found here,…but whether UV layout node does so nicely…is allow us to combine multiple UV nodes,…such as the pelt mapping and UV flatten nodes,…and then pack both of the results together.…
Notice then that our start scene contains multiple models…that have all had UV mapping applied to them.…As the meshes are all combined via a merge node,…the current amount of space that each unwrap takes up…just doesn't work as they all overlap each other.…Here then, is an instance where we can use…the UV layout node to make our final mapping much better.…In our graph view, let's press the Tab key,…and then search for and add a UV layout node…so that we can get a look at the options available,…placing it in the graph just below the merge node.…
- UV mapping basics
- Controlling how UV mapping handles scale
- Displaying viewport maps correctly
- Testing and resetting UVs
- Choosing a texture type
- Mapping NURBS and Bézier surfaces
- Making UV seams
- Grouping, storing, and reusing UV seam selections
- Using seams with pelt mapping
- Selecting and manipulating UVs
- Sewing shared points
- Installing the Game Development Toolset
Skill Level Intermediate
Houdini: Advanced Motion Graphicswith Scott Pagano4h 23m Advanced
1. UV Mapping Basics
2. UV Texture and Project Options
3. UV Seams, Pelt, and Flatten
4. The UV Edit Node
5. Game Development Tool Kit
Next steps1m 6s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.