When making edits to UV clusters, you want to avoid making harsh transformations as this can stretch and distort the UV mapping, and by extension, any texture map you apply to the mesh. Take a look at how soft selection can help stop this problem.
- [Narrator] As I already noted, as much as we try to create…perfect UV islands as we work.…There may be times, especially working with…organic models, that we need to move portions…of our UV around so as to fix some distortion…that may be present in the texture.…To do this we have a simple and yet very useful…function inside of Houdini 16.5 UV edit node.…This being the soft selection slider.…Inside our graph then lets locate and select the…UV edit node, so as to be able to work with it's options.…
As we look at our UV islands we may have one or two areas…that could do with slight tweaks.…And so, making sure that we have our UV edit node active…in graph view, let's press the S key.…And then make sure we are set to select polygons.…If we then click to select some on this leg area,…we may find that things are not working as we would expect.…Especially if we've used the move tool in Houdini before.…To make sure we go back to having just a single selection,…we will want to chose Geometry groups from the…drop down list after we have pressed the S key.…
- UV mapping basics
- Controlling how UV mapping handles scale
- Displaying viewport maps correctly
- Testing and resetting UVs
- Choosing a texture type
- Mapping NURBS and Bézier surfaces
- Making UV seams
- Grouping, storing, and reusing UV seam selections
- Using seams with pelt mapping
- Selecting and manipulating UVs
- Sewing shared points
- Installing the Game Development Toolset
Skill Level Intermediate
Houdini: Advanced Motion Graphicswith Scott Pagano4h 23m Advanced
1. UV Mapping Basics
2. UV Texture and Project Options
3. UV Seams, Pelt, and Flatten
4. The UV Edit Node
5. Game Development Tool Kit
Next steps1m 6s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.