When creating separate UV clusters, you may at times be overcautious and split the mesh up a few too many times, or it might be that to get a good unwrap, you need to do this, but can then reduce the amount of seams by sewing some clusters back together.
- [Narrator] Although we may always try…to create our UV seams in the best places possible,…chances are that we will come back…to our UV work at some point and spot areas…where we can improve things by removing…a few unnecessary seam lines.…To help with this, the Edit UV node gives us…the ability to re-sew our UV islands back together…in certain places which will, of course,…limit the number of texture seams…that we have to deal with.…Again, do keep in mind that for a games workflow,…knowing how to perform this operation…will be vital so as to keep the vertex count down.…
Each time we create a UV seam, we make a duplicate…of the seam vertices.…And so, with every seam created, we are increasing…the game model's vert count.…When you multiply this by the number of objects…that we may have in a game level,…you can hopefully see why as texture artists…we will want to be as savvy as possible…when creating seams.…In our current scene then,…we already have a UV edit node applied to the geometry.…And so, let's take a look in our UV View…
- UV mapping basics
- Controlling how UV mapping handles scale
- Displaying viewport maps correctly
- Testing and resetting UVs
- Choosing a texture type
- Mapping NURBS and Bézier surfaces
- Making UV seams
- Grouping, storing, and reusing UV seam selections
- Using seams with pelt mapping
- Selecting and manipulating UVs
- Sewing shared points
- Installing the Game Development Toolset
Skill Level Intermediate
Houdini: Advanced Motion Graphicswith Scott Pagano4h 23m Advanced
1. UV Mapping Basics
2. UV Texture and Project Options
3. UV Seams, Pelt, and Flatten
4. The UV Edit Node
5. Game Development Tool Kit
Next steps1m 6s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.