Not all objects are created the same. If NURBS or splines have been used to create buildings, furniture, or characters, you can take advantage of the UV Texture node to quickly alter the mapping on curved surfaces with ease.
- [Instructor] Using NURBS or bezier surfaces in Houdini…is a fast and efficient way to model both…flowing organic shapes as well as complex…hard surface shapes.…If we keep the original curves upon completion of the model…however, in other words, we haven't converted the object…into polygons and then removed its attributes,…then we get even more from this modeling approach…as the UV texture node can be used to quickly add UV mapping…to these kinds of meshes.…To show how that works, let's press the H key,…if needed, in order to focus the graph view on our nodes,…and then double-click to enter the wall geometry.…
Once again, we can use the Tab key to search for…and add a UV texture node, this time,…placing it at the end of our flow.…We will want to make sure that we are displaying…the properties of our new node,…and so just confirm that it is selected.…After which, we can look at a few of the texture types…that can help us map NURBS and/or bezier surfaces:…the first of which is uniform spline.…As you can see, looking at the brick texture in the 3D view,…
- UV mapping basics
- Controlling how UV mapping handles scale
- Displaying viewport maps correctly
- Testing and resetting UVs
- Choosing a texture type
- Mapping NURBS and Bézier surfaces
- Making UV seams
- Grouping, storing, and reusing UV seam selections
- Using seams with pelt mapping
- Selecting and manipulating UVs
- Sewing shared points
- Installing the Game Development Toolset
Skill Level Intermediate
Houdini: Advanced Motion Graphicswith Scott Pagano4h 23m Advanced
1. UV Mapping Basics
2. UV Texture and Project Options
3. UV Seams, Pelt, and Flatten
4. The UV Edit Node
5. Game Development Tool Kit
Next steps1m 6s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.