At the end of this video the student will understand the different types of functions in Hive.
- [Instructor] Here let's look at Hive functions…we can use to manipulate our data.…Now, Hive functions are built-in or extensions…to the HiveQL language that allow for manipulation of data.…In previous clips we've already used one of these…with the CSV custom processor.…There are four different types of Hive functions…I want to touch on.…The first one are string functions,…so they deal with text-based data,…and this is a type of data you'll see a lot,…it often is categorical in nature,…and there are a lot of different things…you're going to want to know about it…when you want to work with that data.…
The next are mathematical functions,…and there are the basic math operators, you know,…plus, minus, divide, all that kind of stuff,…but there's also other functions that you can use…to do things like find the absolute value of something,…or find the square root of something,…so any of the more advanced mathematical functions…are possible as well.…Now, dates are special.…In every data platform out there, dates always have…
This course shows how to use Hive to process data. Instructor Ben Sullins starts by showing you how to structure and optimize your data. Next, he explains how to get Hue, the Hadoop user interface, to leverage HiveQL when analyzing data. Using the newly configured option, he then demonstrates how to load data, create aggregate tables for fast query access, and run advanced analytics. He also takes you through managing tables and putting functions to use. This course is designed to help you find new ways to work with datasets so you can answer the tough data science questions that come your way.
- Defining data structures in Hive
- Selecting data
- Joining tables
- Manipulating data
- Filtering results
- Aggregating data
- Using built-in aggregate functions
- Mastering built-in table-generating functions
- Using CUBE and ROLLUP
- Using clauses: WHERE and HAVING
- Using LIKE, JOIN, and SEMI JOIN
- Using functions: String, math, date, and conditional