Join Ben Sullins for an in-depth discussion in this video Setting up our demo environment, part of Analyzing Big Data with Hive.
- [Instructor] Okay, let's begin by…setting up our environment.…There are a few steps here…and I'm going to take you through them…and so you can get totally setup…with our demo environment using HUE,…which is the query editor for Hive.…First we're going to install VirtualBox.…VirtualBox is a virtual machine software…where we can run essentially another computer…on our computer that already has some software installed.…That software comes with the CDH image.…CDH is the Cloudera environment that we'll use…and I'll show you that in a second.…
And then lastly we follow the onscreen instructions…to setup HUE.…HUE is the Hadoop user interface…and it's where we're going to be…using Hive to write our queries…against our data in HDFS.…So step one is to download and install VirtualBox.…I'm running OSX, but if you're running Windows…or Linux or any of the other systems…you can follow the instructions here.…You click the download link…and while that's going go over to the Cloudera download page…where we get the CDH, in this case five point eight.…
This course shows how to use Hive to process data. Instructor Ben Sullins starts by showing you how to structure and optimize your data. Next, he explains how to get Hue, the Hadoop user interface, to leverage HiveQL when analyzing data. Using the newly configured option, he then demonstrates how to load data, create aggregate tables for fast query access, and run advanced analytics. He also takes you through managing tables and putting functions to use. This course is designed to help you find new ways to work with datasets so you can answer the tough data science questions that come your way.
- Defining data structures in Hive
- Selecting data
- Joining tables
- Manipulating data
- Filtering results
- Aggregating data
- Using built-in aggregate functions
- Mastering built-in table-generating functions
- Using CUBE and ROLLUP
- Using clauses: WHERE and HAVING
- Using LIKE, JOIN, and SEMI JOIN
- Using functions: String, math, date, and conditional