Join Elsa Loftis for an in-depth discussion in this video Wikipedia, part of Information Literacy.
- In this video, we will discuss the role…of encyclopedias in general, and suggest ways…in which Wikipedia can help you with your research.…Wikipedia is the seventh most-visited website in the world.…It's huge, containing nearly 5,000,000 articles…in the English version alone.…If it were to be printed,…it would contain more than 2,000 volumes.…Wikipedia is an encyclopedia, a type of reference work…holding a comprehensive summary…of information and knowledge.…
Wikipedia launched in 2001 as a collaboratively-edited,…open-source, free, internet encyclopedia.…Unlike many other internet startups, it's a nonprofit.…No one is making billions through Wikipedia.…Its lofty goal is to publish, quote,…"the sum of all human knowledge."…Anyone can edit Wikipedia.…This can lead to inaccuracies.…In studies however, Wikipedia has been found…to be nearly as accurate as Britannica,…the most well-known encyclopedia.…
Because there are so many editors,…mistakes are often corrected very quickly.…The real reason not to use Wikipedia for college research…
Artist or designer? Elsa explains how creative professionals can use informational searches for inspiration and professional development. Whatever your background, this course is designed to help you become a better, faster, and more thorough researcher.
- Understanding the information cycle
- Working with books, periodicals, databases, and web resources
- Identifying your information needs
- Choosing search terms
- Evaluating resources
- Citing sources
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Learning Management Systems (LMS) Quick Startwith Aaron Quigley41m 44s Appropriate for all
Project-Based Learning: STEM to STEAMwith Dos Pueblos Engineering Academy2h 48m Appropriate for all
1. Types of Resources
2. Search Strategies
3. Resource Evaluation
4. Ethical Use of Information
6. Information Literacy for Art and Design
Next steps1m 36s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.