Learn to write college application essays that will impress admissions officers and help improve your chances of getting into a top-choice school.
- View Offline
- [Voiceover] The college admissions process can be brutal. You need to do whatever you can to distinguish yourself from the thousands of other students vying for your spot. Your grades, scores, and extracurriculars won't be enough. You need something more. The essay you submit with your application is a critical factor in your success. It can show an admissions counselor who you are and why you would be an asset to their school. Hi, I'm Leigh Ann Chow. In my years as a high school English teacher, I've helped dozens of students with their application essays.
In this course, I'll walk you through planning, drafting, editing, revising, and polishing your essay, just as I have for them. Along the way, we'll also discuss strategies to help make you a more effective writer. The lessons you learn in this course will not only improve your chances of getting into your top-choice school but will also prepare you to be a better writer once you get there. So, let's get started on writing a strong application essay.
- Understanding the essay purpose and audience
- Reviewing common and unusual essay prompts
- Starting with a strong opening statement
- Showing, not telling
- Adhering to word limits
- Organizing the essay
- Varying sentence structure
- Revising the essay
- Communicating sincerity and enthusiasm