Learn to write college application essays that will impress admissions officers and help improve your chances of getting into a top-choice school.
- [Voiceover] The college admissions process can be brutal. You need to do whatever you can to distinguish yourself from the thousands of other students vying for your spot. Your grades, scores, and extracurriculars won't be enough. You need something more. The essay you submit with your application is a critical factor in your success. It can show an admissions counselor who you are and why you would be an asset to their school. Hi, I'm Leigh Ann Chow. In my years as a high school English teacher, I've helped dozens of students with their application essays.
In this course, I'll walk you through planning, drafting, editing, revising, and polishing your essay, just as I have for them. Along the way, we'll also discuss strategies to help make you a more effective writer. The lessons you learn in this course will not only improve your chances of getting into your top-choice school but will also prepare you to be a better writer once you get there. So, let's get started on writing a strong application essay.
AuthorLeigh Ann Chow
- Understanding the essay purpose and audience
- Reviewing common and unusual essay prompts
- Starting with a strong opening statement
- Showing, not telling
- Adhering to word limits
- Organizing the essay
- Varying sentence structure
- Revising the essay
- Communicating sincerity and enthusiasm
Skill Level Beginner
1. Exploring the College Application Essay
2. Examining the Types of Essay Prompts
3. Maximizing Your Chances of Success
4. Writing the Essay
5. Distinguishing Yourself in Your Essay
Next steps5m 27s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.