Make training successful for adult audiences with these instructional design best practices and techniques.
- Hi, my name is Jeff Toister. Welcome to Adult Learners, part of the Instructional Design Essentials series. In this course we'll explore the fundamental principles of adult learning. I'll show you how to use these principles to design impactful training programs. The adult learning principles we'll cover are based on industry standards, proven best practices, and my own experience as a certified learning and performance professional who has spent more than 20 years designing training programs. This course has three major focus areas. First, I'll introduce you to a set of adult learning principles that are widely used by instructional designers.
Next, I'll show you how to apply these principles to create an active learning experience. Finally, I'll share some common learning barriers and show you how an understanding of adult learners can help you overcome these challenges. As an instructional designer, I've always found the process of learning to be fascinating. It's a lot of fun to find ways to make learning happen faster and better than ever before. My hope is that this course will help you discover ways to align your training programs with the needs of your adult learners.
- Adult learning theory
- Understanding the four stages of learning
- Comparing active vs. passive learning
- Overcoming learning barriers
- Turning theory into practice