Join Paul Nowak for an in-depth discussion in this video Using your hand to guide your eyes, part of Learning Study Skills.
- The simplest thing you can do right now to improve…your reading speed is to use your hand as a guide.…You can use your hand, your finger,…or even a pen while you're reading.…Either way, this visual reference will help you…guide your eyes through the text.…This is the simplest way to improve…your concentration while reading.…And guess what?…If you have better concentration,…you'll have a better reading speed.…And also, if you're able to concentrate better,…that should also help your comprehension too.…You want to place your finger or a pen…slightly below the text on a page…and underline the words from left to right…in one continuous motion.…
Don't actually look at your finger,…but instead let it guide you from left to right…through the line of text.…Your eyes being naturally attracted to motion…will follow your finger through the material.…Now initially, this might feel slightly uncomfortable,…if you don't already read with your hand.…But the more you do it, the more natural it becomes.…As you would imagine, this technique works better…
- Learning to read faster and more thoroughly
- Improving your note-taking skills
- Enhancing your memory
- Memorizing new words and formulas
- Scoring better on tests
- Creating study plans
Skill Level Beginner
1. Ramp Up Your Reading
2. Improve Your Note-Taking Skills
3. Techniques for Enhancing Your Memory
4. Score Better on Tests
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.