Join Paul Nowak for an in-depth discussion in this video Remembering important dates, part of Study Skills Fundamentals.
- Remembering important dates can be made easier…by coming up with rhymes.…One very popular rhyme you might already be familiar with…is about the voyage of Christopher Columbus in 1492.…The rhyme goes like this:…In 1492, Columbus sailed the ocean blue.…Rhyming like this still requires a little bit of rehearsing,…but they make it easier to remember dates.…Here are some other examples.…The date of the Boston Tea Party was 1773.…You take the last part, 73,…and try to rhyme it with something like "heavenly tea."…So, notice how 73 and heavenly tea…have a rhyming pattern.…
You then build an image based on this.…I'm going to imagine tea falling from the heavens…into the Boston Harbor.…Let's take another historical example.…1861, the start of the Civil War.…Let's take the 61 part,…and 61 could rhyme with "sticky gun."…Now imagine a Civil War soldier…struggling with a gun that is covered in honey,…a sticky gun.…So again, 61, sticky gun.…Little rhymes like this make it easier to remember dates.…
Another way to deal with dates is by realizing…
- Learning to read faster and more thoroughly
- Improving your note-taking skills
- Enhancing your memory
- Memorizing new words and formulas
- Scoring better on tests
- Creating study plans
Skill Level Beginner
1. Ramp Up Your Reading
2. Improve Your Note-Taking Skills
3. Techniques for Enhancing Your Memory
4. Score Better on Tests
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.