Join Kevin Brookhouser for an in-depth discussion in this video Keep kids accountable through blogs, part of Teaching Future-Ready Students.
- One of the most frequent questions teachers ask me…is how to keep kids accountable for their work…they're doing.…I want to share with you…how to keep students motivated and accountable…through weekly blogs.…I found that one of the best tools…for keeping major projects on track…is to require students to post a weekly…150 word blog post charting their project.…Students who blog are more thoughtful about their work,…more accountable to their goals.…Blogging also produces a lively visual record…of how their work is evolving.…
Reports like these are almost always more fun…with readers and comments.…I like to have class members…read and comment on each others' blogs.…When students see comments on their blog,…they get a surge of endorphins,…which is always a good motivator.…They're also likely to feel a sense of recognition,…value and purpose.…If you're concerned about the privacy implications,…you can always restrict the blog…to specific individuals or groups.…So what do these blogs look like?…First, students discuss what has happened…
- Understanding the new literacies
- Motivating problem solvers
- Inspiring divergent thinking with Limbo
- Bringing 20time into the classroom
- Guiding creative learners
- Finding the right mentor for entrepreneurial kids
- Making elevator pitches
- Grading entrepreneurial projects
- Telling stories through video
- Creating screencast video
- Capturing video with a smartphone
- Editing videos on YouTube
- Teaching code
- Designing apps
- Incorporating coding activities in the classroom
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is a Future-Ready Student?
The classroom must change2m 10s
2. Motivating Entrepreneurs
3. Building a Culture of Creation
4. Entrepreneurial Nuts and Bolts
5. The Film and Video Producer
6. Your Video Utility Belt
7. The Case for Coding
8. Anyone Can Code and Anyone Can Teach Code
9. Your Coding Utility Belt
10. Coding Activities
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.