Join Paul Nowak for an in-depth discussion in this video Improving your reading comprehension through speed variability, part of Learning Study Skills.
- In this video, we'll discuss the points…where you should slow down and speed up…in order to improve comprehension.…Adjusting your speed is very important.…Here are some simple ways you can do it.…Here's a good rule of thumb, slow down…on the first sentence of a paragraph and then…speed up a little but through the rest of the paragraph.…When you get to a new paragraph, just repeat the process,…slow down on the first sentence, and again…speed up a little through the rest of the paragraph.…As you probably already know, the first sentence…of a paragraph tends to be the main idea,…or the topic sentence, of the paragraph.…
It's not always the case, but most of the time,…maybe 80 percent of the time or more,…the first sentence is the main idea of the paragraph.…It's important to slow down just a little bit here…to make sure you don't miss that important sentence.…There are a variety of ways you can…adjust your speed while reading.…Slowing down on the first sentence of a paragraph…is just one way to do it.…If you're a student and you're reading something…
- Learning to read faster and more thoroughly
- Improving your note-taking skills
- Enhancing your memory
- Memorizing new words and formulas
- Scoring better on tests
- Creating study plans
Skill Level Beginner
1. Ramp Up Your Reading
2. Improve Your Note-Taking Skills
3. Techniques for Enhancing Your Memory
4. Score Better on Tests
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.