Join Kevin Brookhouser for an in-depth discussion in this video Branching logic, part of Teaching Future-Ready Students.
- In this video I'm going to cover…the concept of branching logic,…and show how this logic is used in computer programming.…Examples will include a choose your own adventure program,…and a plant identifier app.…Branching logic is one of the most useful concepts…to understand when you are new to computer programming,…but it can be a bit overwhelming to grasp.…Let's break down the concept…and then look at a few ways you can use branching logic…to teach students computer programming.…
Programs are like the choose your own adventure books…I loved as a kid.…At the end of each chapter of those books,…I was given options to decide where the story would go next.…For example, a character encounters a cave in the woods.…I could choose to have the character either go into the cave…or go further into the woods.…Each choice took me to a different place in that book.…The outcome depended upon the choices…I made throughout the story.…
In a computer program, you can do the same thing.…Ask the user to make choices that change…
- Understanding the new literacies
- Motivating problem solvers
- Inspiring divergent thinking with Limbo
- Bringing 20time into the classroom
- Guiding creative learners
- Finding the right mentor for entrepreneurial kids
- Making elevator pitches
- Grading entrepreneurial projects
- Telling stories through video
- Creating screencast video
- Capturing video with a smartphone
- Editing videos on YouTube
- Teaching code
- Designing apps
- Incorporating coding activities in the classroom
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is a Future-Ready Student?
The classroom must change2m 10s
2. Motivating Entrepreneurs
3. Building a Culture of Creation
4. Entrepreneurial Nuts and Bolts
5. The Film and Video Producer
6. Your Video Utility Belt
7. The Case for Coding
8. Anyone Can Code and Anyone Can Teach Code
9. Your Coding Utility Belt
10. Coding Activities
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.