Join Paul Nowak for an in-depth discussion in this video Boosting your reading speed with simple practice drills, part of Learning Study Skills.
- Let's talk about how you can start…improving your reading speed.…In this video we'll cover a very basic speed reading drill…that will help you boost your reading rate.…This exercise can be done on paper or digitally.…It's completely up to you.…I suggest using material that you normally have to read,…whether it's for school, work, or personal reading.…For this drill you'll be reading for 20 minutes…so make sure you have enough reading material…for that amount of time.…Here's how the drill works.…First, read at your typical pace for 20 minutes,…trying to comprehend as much as you can.…
When the 20 minutes it up, mark your ending spot.…Then, go back to where you started reading initially,…and now you have to make it to your ending spot…within 10 minutes.…The goal of this drill is to purposely go faster…than we would normally read.…How are we going to read that?…Well, we're simply going to re-read the material we just…went through, but we're going to do it at double the speed.…So on the first step you read for 20 minutes,…
- Learning to read faster and more thoroughly
- Improving your note-taking skills
- Enhancing your memory
- Memorizing new words and formulas
- Scoring better on tests
- Creating study plans
Skill Level Beginner
1. Ramp Up Your Reading
2. Improve Your Note-Taking Skills
3. Techniques for Enhancing Your Memory
4. Score Better on Tests
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.