Join Paul Nowak for an in-depth discussion in this video Avoiding excessive highlighting and note taking, part of Study Skills Fundamentals.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- In this video, we're going to discuss…the dangers of excessive highlighting, or note taking.…Have you ever bought a used college textbook…and noticed ridiculous amounts of highlighting?…How does this happen? Here's how.…Someone is reading the chapter and maybe they need to…know it really well for a test that's coming up.…They read a sentence and realize that's really important…so they highlight it.…Then they read the next sentence and realize that's…also kind of important so they highlight that as well.…Then they the third sentence and realize…this one is way more important than the previous two.…
Maybe they'll use a different color this time around.…You probably see where this is going.…Have you ever heard the phrase…when you get caught up in details…you lose sight of the big picture?…Or that someone is failing to see the forest for the trees.…This is one of the biggest issues…when it comes to note taking.…People get caught up in the details.…A better way to handle this would be…to finish reading the paragraph…
- Learning to read faster and more thoroughly
- Improving your note-taking skills
- Enhancing your memory
- Memorizing new words and formulas
- Scoring better on tests
- Creating study plans
Skill Level Beginner
1. Ramp Up Your Reading
2. Improve Your Note-Taking Skills
3. Techniques for Enhancing Your Memory
4. Score Better on Tests
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.