Join Elsa Loftis for an in-depth discussion in this video Alternative resources, part of Information Literacy.
- Sometimes there are other sources of information…which are different from a traditional book or article.…We are going to examine some of these alternative resources…in more detail.…Types of alternative sources in this movie…contain maps, geographic information systems,…data set, statistical databases, materials,…objects and artifacts, informatics,…information graphics, and film, video, and motion pictures.…All of these are great sources of information,…but they may be in formats that are a little…less familiar to you.…
Let's look at some examples of these unusual formats…in more detail.…Maps.…Maps are great sources of visual information.…They can be used by flying aircraft,…serve as trail guides for hikers,…provide guidance for vehicles traveling along highways…or roads, and reflect political activities and boundaries.…Nautical charts, which guide watercraft,…have been used by humans for centuries,…although there are fewer ones with sea monsters…decorating them nowadays.…Another fun historical map example…are the Sanborn Fire Insurance maps,…
Artist or designer? Elsa explains how creative professionals can use informational searches for inspiration and professional development. Whatever your background, this course is designed to help you become a better, faster, and more thorough researcher.
- Understanding the information cycle
- Working with books, periodicals, databases, and web resources
- Identifying your information needs
- Choosing search terms
- Evaluating resources
- Citing sources
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Classroom Management Fundamentalswith Aaron Quigley52m 41s Beginner
Learning Management System (LMS) Fundamentalswith Aaron Quigley41m 44s Appropriate for all
Project-Based Learning: STEM to STEAMwith Dos Pueblos Engineering Academy2h 48m Appropriate for all
1. Types of Resources
2. Search Strategies
3. Resource Evaluation
4. Ethical Use of Information
6. Information Literacy for Art and Design
Next steps1m 36s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.