Before you invite students to your course, it is recommend that you organize the homepage to appear finished and ready. In this Schoology training video, Oliver Schinkten will teach you how to invite students using a course access code, as well as how to adjust settings for approving new group members.
- View Offline
- We have now created a Schoology account, added a course with resources and at this point you may be ready to invite students to your course. I'd recommend that you have the course organized in the way you want it to look before adding students so that you can create the appropriate culture of learning rather than have students confused and upset. My course isn't necessarily ready to go, but for the sake of this course, I'm going to show you how to add members. In order to add members to a course, navigate to the specific course. Right now I'm on my homepage but I'll go up to the top to Courses and select my Life Science Section one.
Now on the left hand side at the bottom, you'll see an access code. Mine is in a green box and it's B-B-B-M-T dash three D-Z-X-M. This will be a 10 digit code that you will need to give to anyone that you would like to invite to the course. Students are able to create an account and immediately join the course if they have the access code. Now if you'd like to require approval for students, what you can do is to navigate on the left navigation bar to Members. And then on the right hand side you'll see the Access Code.
This is the same Access Code but underneath it, you have the ability to click on Require approval. Now I'm going to actually do this because I would like to approve members before they enter so that someone doesn't enter who isn't in the class. If a student already has an account and is a part of another course on Schoology, no worries. They'll have an option inside of their account to join another group, something I'll cover in the video on creating a student account. But they will not have to create a whole other Schoology profile. If you have an Enterprise account and your district has loaded your students, you may be able to add members by clicking on an Add Member button and selecting them from a list preloaded by the district.
I think the Access Code is the best way to invite members. It gives students the responsibility of finding the site, creating an account and becoming a member of the course. If you have students who are not joining, it may be a good time to discuss why that is.
- Signing up for a teacher account
- Customizing your profile
- Creating a course
- Adding course materials and additional sections
- Adding learning objectives
- Creating assignments and quizzes
- Starting online discussions
- Adding new members and groups
- Grading student work
- Using the course calendar
- Creating a student account