Digital technology and innovation continue to evolve, playing a bigger role in education. This is good because it provides us with new tools and opportunities. It also brings many obstacles to providing equal access to all learning resources. Students with impairments or disabilities can have a difficult time accessing these resources. It is important to understand the accommodations that can be used and any assistive technologies that will help empower the learners to be successful.
- [Voiceover] We've discussed many…of the classroom accommodations that we can use,…such as optimized seating, handouts, and more.…We're now in the digital age, however,…and the amount of innovation and technology…that we're seeing in schools is increasing exponentially.…We now have access to more information, more resources,…and more opportunities than we ever have before.…I refer to this as a good, bad, and good situation.…The good news is that technology gives us access…to more information, resources, and opportunities…than we've ever had before.…
The bad news is that this creates many more scenarios…in which students do not have equal access to learning.…Imagine the difficulty of navigating a website…if you're someone who's blind.…Or the difficulty of watching a video about captions…if you are someone who is hearing impaired.…Or being able to use a keyboard due to a motor disability.…Fortunately, the other goods news…is that there's a lot of technology out there,…including software programs and other assistive technologies…
- What is accessible learning?
- Accommodating different needs, from vision impairments to lack of digital access
- Adapting presentations, responses, and timing
- Using an LMS to make learning more accessible
- Adding alt text to images
- Adding closed captioning to videos