Join Dermot O' Connor for an in-depth discussion in this video Symbols and cycles, part of Toon Boom Harmony Essential Training.
- [Narrator] If you come to Harmony…from Adobe Flash or Adobe Animate,…you're used to using symbols in your animation.…Harmony doesn't use symbols quite in the way that Flash does…because it doesn't need to.…Harmony is designed so that you can…access all of your character's components from the stage,…so you're not meant to need to drill…into symbols and back out of symbols.…So it's one of the things that's one of the…good trade-offs of using this program,…It's more complex,…but you don't drill and tunnel into symbols and out of them.…But there are times when it's a really good idea…to use the symbols that are in Harmony.…
So a good example would be a flock of birds.…You animate one bird,…and you duplicate that symbol 20 times,…so you don't have to animate 20 birds.…Similar with crowd scenes for example.…So let's take a look at how you would do it.…So in this case we have a bird flying.…Let's carefully select all eight of these exposures,…it's four drawings that have been held for two frames,…so it gets a nice wing beat.…
AuthorDermot O' Connor
- Creating scenes
- Transforming objects
- Applying color and ink
- Drawing keys, breakdowns, and in-betweens
- Easing in and out
- Nudging in 3D space
- Rigging a character
- Animating rigged characters
- Morph-tweening characters
- Animating cameras
- Adding sound and dialogue
- Exporting movies and images
Skill Level Beginner
2D Animation: Animate Flying Creatureswith Dermot O' Connor33m 12s Intermediate
2D Animation: Animal Walk Cycleswith Dermot O' Connor42m 43s Beginner
Learning 2D Animation Principleswith Dermot O' Connor2h 25m Beginner
4. Traditional Animation
5. Digital Animation (Motion Graphics)
6. Character Setup and Rigging
7. Animating a Rigged Character
8. Multiplane Camera
9. Sound and Dialogue
11. Exporting Movies and Images
Next steps1m 18s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.