Join Dermot O' Connor for an in-depth discussion in this video Symbols and cycles, part of Toon Boom Animate and Harmony Essential Training.
- People who come to Toon Boom Animate or Harmony…from a Flash background often have…a desire to use symbols for animation…and you can animate in Harmony using symbols.…However, it's recommended that…you don't use them unless you have to…because it's often possible to do all your animation…on the main timeline…without having to resort to nesting…your animation inside a symbol…then you have to tunnel inside…that symbol to do any drawing.…Why do that when you can do…all the drawing on the main timeline?…That's the Toon Boom Animate Harmony attitude.…
So the one situation, or kind of situation,…where you do need symbols will be…where you have a common element…that's doing a motion that you…don't want to have to do multiple times…and you want to be able to spread it throughout your scene…very quickly and easily and make changes to it…quickly and easily.…So a typical example would be a bird flying,…if you want a flock of birds, you animate one,…you do 10 symbols and you move them across the screen,…changing the timing where you need to.…
AuthorDermot O' Connor
Note: Dermot uses Toon Boom Animate to demonstrate these techniques, but Toon Boom Harmony and Toon Boom Animate Pro users will also benefit from the training.
- Creating scenes
- Drawing and transforming objects
- Applying color and ink
- Drawing keys and breakdowns
- Easing in and out
- Nudging in 3D space
- Rigging a character
- Animating with forward and inverse kinematics
- Morph-tweening characters
- Animating cameras
- Performing automatic lip syncs
- Exporting movies and images
Skill Level Beginner
Flash Professional CS5: Character Animationwith Dermot O' Connor9h 19m Intermediate
4. Traditional Animation
5. Digital Animation (Motion Graphics)
6. Character Setup and Rigging
7. Animating a Rigged Character
8. Multiplane Camera
9. Sound and Dialogue
10. Effects and Text
11. Exporting Movies and Images
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.