Join Dermot O' Connor for an in-depth discussion in this video Shift and trace, part of Toon Boom Animate and Harmony Essential Training.
- When you're animating by drawing an image,…one of the biggest problems is maintaining the model.…You can drift off model very easily,…and all kinds of things could happen.…As you draw, you tend to gain volume.…The physical amount of mass of the character…tends to grow.…Luckily, there's a technique that we used to use, still use,…called Shift and Trace, which you can use…to basically check your work for consistency.…So, here I have my earlier rough fellow…from a little sketch head,…and on a second frame, I've drawn in another keyframe…to where I think he might want to move.…
So the transition from one to the other looks pretty nice.…I've just lightly sketched in using the Brush tool,…I'm using this Texture tool here.…The thing is, it's kinda hard to tell,…because of the amount of distance…that these guys have moved,…just exactly, is this really, the same size or not?…Ideally I want to move one drawing under the other,…but obviously if I start doing that here,…I'm shifting around things,…and all kinds of mistakes could happen then.…
AuthorDermot O' Connor
Note: Dermot uses Toon Boom Animate to demonstrate these techniques, but Toon Boom Harmony and Toon Boom Animate Pro users will also benefit from the training.
- Creating scenes
- Drawing and transforming objects
- Applying color and ink
- Drawing keys and breakdowns
- Easing in and out
- Nudging in 3D space
- Rigging a character
- Animating with forward and inverse kinematics
- Morph-tweening characters
- Animating cameras
- Performing automatic lip syncs
- Exporting movies and images
Skill Level Beginner
4. Traditional Animation
5. Digital Animation (Motion Graphics)
6. Character Setup and Rigging
7. Animating a Rigged Character
8. Multiplane Camera
9. Sound and Dialogue
10. Effects and Text
11. Exporting Movies and Images
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.