Join Dermot O' Connor for an in-depth discussion in this video Pivots and articulation, part of Toon Boom Animate and Harmony Essential Training.
- I've take the figure from the previous video…and I've just broken him down into a few more layers.…So, as you can see, he's all on his correct parts now.…The next step, if you were going to animate this guy…would be to put pivot points on all the layers.…Now, let's just see what happens…when you don't put the pivot points on.…I'm going to select the transform tool down here…to select the different body parts,…and obviously that's not going to be any good,…so we'll undo that.…Now there's a pivot tool here in the toolbar,…and it has a couple of little extra operations over here,…like snapping to contour, if you need to do that,…so you could, in theory, just move this down to there,…and then go back and use this tool.…
The only issue I really have with this…is that, say you put the pivot point on the hand,…here, and I've taken the liberty of making a second hand,…if you were to go to that one now,…that pivot point is in the wrong position,…and you an make it work by going control command "c"…and control command "v" to move it to the other point,…
AuthorDermot O' Connor
Note: Dermot uses Toon Boom Animate to demonstrate these techniques, but Toon Boom Harmony and Toon Boom Animate Pro users will also benefit from the training.
- Creating scenes
- Drawing and transforming objects
- Applying color and ink
- Drawing keys and breakdowns
- Easing in and out
- Nudging in 3D space
- Rigging a character
- Animating with forward and inverse kinematics
- Morph-tweening characters
- Animating cameras
- Performing automatic lip syncs
- Exporting movies and images
Skill Level Beginner
Learning 2D Animation Principleswith Dermot O' Connor2h 25m Beginner
Flash Professional CS5: Character Animationwith Dermot O' Connor9h 19m Intermediate
4. Traditional Animation
5. Digital Animation (Motion Graphics)
6. Character Setup and Rigging
7. Animating a Rigged Character
8. Multiplane Camera
9. Sound and Dialogue
10. Effects and Text
11. Exporting Movies and Images
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.