Join Dermot O' Connor for an in-depth discussion in this video Cutting the character, part of Toon Boom Animate and Harmony Essential Training.
- Now, we're going to take a look…at how to take a vector drawing…and to cut it into bits…and distribute it to layers.…So, this is when somebody gives you…an illustrator file…that's already made out of vectors.…And this doesn't use the pencil tool.…This is a drawing that was made,…entirely, with the brush tool.…So, I'm going to use the contour editor…to show you what this looks like.…And as you can imagine,…it's got the control points…on the inside and the outside.…There's no central vector line,…so you have total control over the thick and thin.…
But obviously, this means you can't…make the same sweeping changes…that we were able to make with the brush tool.…Although you can finesse this line much more,…you can't make those amazing global changes.…So, let's see, given all that,…what we can do to take this guy…and to chop him up and distribute him…to layers, so that he can be animated.…So, the tool to watch out for is the Cutter tool.…And let's just zoom in on his head.…And I'm going to just draw from,…let's hit the base of his neck here,…
AuthorDermot O' Connor
Note: Dermot uses Toon Boom Animate to demonstrate these techniques, but Toon Boom Harmony and Toon Boom Animate Pro users will also benefit from the training.
- Creating scenes
- Drawing and transforming objects
- Applying color and ink
- Drawing keys and breakdowns
- Easing in and out
- Nudging in 3D space
- Rigging a character
- Animating with forward and inverse kinematics
- Morph-tweening characters
- Animating cameras
- Performing automatic lip syncs
- Exporting movies and images
Skill Level Beginner
Learning 2D Animation Principleswith Dermot O' Connor2h 25m Beginner
Flash Professional CS5: Character Animationwith Dermot O' Connor9h 19m Intermediate
4. Traditional Animation
5. Digital Animation (Motion Graphics)
6. Character Setup and Rigging
7. Animating a Rigged Character
8. Multiplane Camera
9. Sound and Dialogue
10. Effects and Text
11. Exporting Movies and Images
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.