Join Dermot O' Connor for an in-depth discussion in this video Animating with inverse kinematics, part of Toon Boom Animate and Harmony Essential Training.
- In the last video I showed you how…to use a system of child/parent layers…for example, using the Transform tool here,…you can see them, where we can go through…the layers using the B on the keyboard,…to Shift B to go down that chain,…and back up again,…and thereby we can reposition the different layers…to create poses.…So in this section, what I'm going to do…is show you a related system…called IK, and to activate IK,…all you have to do is click on this button,…and you see that the program creates…a series of built in skeletons,…or bones, for these layer systems.…
And what it's doing is,…it's simply taking the pivot points…from your actual permanent pivots…for each layer, so for example,…our pivot for the lower arm is here,…and the hand is there, so the IK,…just takes those points and says, "bones"…so there we go.…Now let's have a look at the other layers…in the scene, and as you can see,…as we click on each one,…the little sub-systems appear,…and then we can access these,…and work with that.…So it's possible to go from FK to IK…
AuthorDermot O' Connor
Note: Dermot uses Toon Boom Animate to demonstrate these techniques, but Toon Boom Harmony and Toon Boom Animate Pro users will also benefit from the training.
- Creating scenes
- Drawing and transforming objects
- Applying color and ink
- Drawing keys and breakdowns
- Easing in and out
- Nudging in 3D space
- Rigging a character
- Animating with forward and inverse kinematics
- Morph-tweening characters
- Animating cameras
- Performing automatic lip syncs
- Exporting movies and images
Skill Level Beginner
Learning 2D Animation Principleswith Dermot O' Connor2h 25m Beginner
Flash Professional CS5: Character Animationwith Dermot O' Connor9h 19m Intermediate
4. Traditional Animation
5. Digital Animation (Motion Graphics)
6. Character Setup and Rigging
7. Animating a Rigged Character
8. Multiplane Camera
9. Sound and Dialogue
10. Effects and Text
11. Exporting Movies and Images
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.