Join David D. Levine for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating a list, part of Managing Mailing Lists with Mailman.
- To create a new Mailman mailing list, first your web hosting service must have installed the Mailman software. Many service providers include Mailman at no extra cost. Some provide it as an available option. Alternatively, if you have full control of your own server, you can install the Mailman software yourself. Installation of Mailman, however, is beyond the scope of this course. Once the Mailman software is installed on your system, the procedure for creating a new list varies depending on your web host. If you have the cPanel web-based control panel, you may find an icon labeled Mailing Lists in the Mail section of the control panel.
Clicking on that icon may allow you to create a new mailing list simply by specifying a list name and picking an administrative password for the newly created list. I'll do that here. We'll create a new list called email@example.com. I'll create a password. I'll repeat it. I'll make the list public, and I'll click add.
The list is now being created and appears in the list of list. On some other web hosting services, you have to email your support staff to create a Mailman mailing list for you. Consult your web providers documentation for more informaiton. The name of a Mailman mailing list can contain only digits, letters, underscores, hyphens, and periods. It's a good idea to keep it short under 20 characters or so, because you and your subscribers will likely be typing it a lot.
- Creating lists
- Setting basic list attributes
- Managing mass subscriptions and renewals
- Sending and receiving lists messages via email
- Using Mailman's digest mode
- Viewing and managing archives
- Setting max message size and other options
- Controlling bounce processing
- Approving and rejecting posts by email
- Managing attachments and formatted messages