Join Barton Poulson for an in-depth discussion in this video The role of Excel in big data, part of Techniques and Concepts of Big Data.
- Before we leave our discussion of big data analytics,…I want to talk about the role of Excel.…Now this is important because a lot of people think…that to do big data you have to use rocket…science equipment all the way through, and that…Excel because it's installed on every computer…in the whole entire world certainly isn't…special enough and doesn't qualify.…That's not true at all.…There's a few things about Excel.…First off, is as a general principle you want…to go to where the people are.…The analysis is there to serve a purpose,…it's there to inform other people.…
And even if you have to store the data and dupe…and you've got to use other programs to access it there,…Excel is still going to be a really good way to share it…because it's where people know how to work.…Far and away the most common data tool.…There are hundreds of millions, perhaps billions,…of copies of Excel floating in the world.…Millions of people use it on a daily basis.…Even professional data miners use it.…I saw a recent survey of data miner software.…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- What makes big data "big"
- Understanding how big data impacts consumers, businesses, and research
- Exploring the intersection of data science and big data
- Facing big data's ethical challenges
- Understanding the sources and structures of big data
- Storing big data
- Prepping big data for analysis
Skill Level Beginner
What Is Big Data?
2. How Is Big Data used?
3. Big Data and Data Science
4. Ethics in Big Data
Challenges with anonymity5m 51s
5. Sources and Structures of Big Data
6. Storing Big Data
7. Preparing Data for Analysis
8. Big Data Analysis
Next steps1m 58s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.