Join Barton Poulson for an in-depth discussion in this video Big Data Visualization, part of Techniques and Concepts of Big Data.
- Up to this point,…we've been talking about big data,…and the things that the computers…are able to do for the humans.…On the other hand, it turns out there are certain things…that humans still do better than computers,…and visualization is one of them.…Humans are visual animals.…We work on sight, and we get…a huge amount of information that way.…Computers are very good at spotting certain patterns.…They're also very good at calculating…predictive models and doing data mining…in a way that humans would have a hard time…doing in a thousand lifetimes.…
But, humans perceive and interpret patterns…much better than computers do,…and so human vision still plays…an important role in big data.…Humans can see the patterns,…and they can see the exceptions to the patterns…or the anomalies very quickly.…They can also see those patterns across…multiple variables and groups.…They're also much better at interpreting…the content of images than computers are.…So for instance, here are some familiar examples…from what's called Gestalt patterns.…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- What makes big data "big"
- Understanding how big data impacts consumers, businesses, and research
- Exploring the intersection of data science and big data
- Facing big data's ethical challenges
- Understanding the sources and structures of big data
- Storing big data
- Prepping big data for analysis
Skill Level Beginner
What Is Big Data?
2. How Is Big Data used?
3. Big Data and Data Science
4. Ethics in Big Data
Challenges with anonymity5m 51s
5. Sources and Structures of Big Data
6. Storing Big Data
7. Preparing Data for Analysis
8. Big Data Analysis
Next steps1m 58s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.