Join Barton Poulson for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding big data for research, part of Big Data Foundations: Techniques and Concepts.
- In the previous movies we looked…at the role that big data can play…in individual people's lives as well as in businesses.…We also want to look very quickly at how…big data has been revolutionizing…aspects of scholarship and research.…I want to show you a few interesting examples…of where big data has influenced scientific progress.…The first one we want to look at is…Google flu trends where they were able to find that…search patterns for flu related words were…actually able to identify outbreaks of the flu…in the United States much faster than the…research that the Center for Disease Control could do.…
Similarly, a more recent project found that Wikipedia…searches could identify them with even greater accuracy.…The National Institutes of Health created the…Brain Initiative as a way of taking enormous numbers of…brain scans to create a full map of brain functioning.…Additionally, NASA'`s Kepler space telescope…has been on a mission to find exoplanets, or…planets outside of our solar system.…As you can see over here so far…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- What makes big data "big"
- Understanding how big data impacts consumers, businesses, and research
- Exploring the intersection of data science and big data
- Facing big data's ethical challenges
- Understanding the sources and structures of big data
- Storing big data
- Prepping big data for analysis
Skill Level Beginner
What Is Big Data?
2. How Is Big Data used?
3. Big Data and Data Science
4. Ethics in Big Data
Challenges with anonymity5m 51s
5. Sources and Structures of Big Data
6. Storing Big Data
7. Preparing Data for Analysis
8. Big Data Analysis
Next steps1m 58s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.