Join Barton Poulson for an in-depth discussion in this video Machine-generated data, part of Techniques and Concepts of Big Data.
- In T.S. Eliot's poem, The Love Song…of J. Alfred Prufrock, he has the line…I have heard the mermaid singing,…each to each, I do not think they will sing to me.…I bring this up because it has been estimated…that as much as 95 percent of the world's data…will never be seen by human eyes.…Much of this unseen data is called…M to M data or machine to machine.…The machines are talking to each…other not to be heard by the humans.…Just like Prufrock's mermaids.…Now, let me talk about some of the…sources of machine generated data.…
There's a very long list, this…is not meant to be comprehensive,…but things like when the cell phones…ping to the cell towers to check where they are,…when the satellite radio and the GPS connect…to locate the car or your phone, the RFID…or radio frequency identification tag readings…on billions of small objects, readings from…medical devices and web crawlers and spam bots.…It's especially fun to think about the…electronic spam bots being stopped by the…electronic spam filters, each working against another.…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- What makes big data "big"
- Understanding how big data impacts consumers, businesses, and research
- Exploring the intersection of data science and big data
- Facing big data's ethical challenges
- Understanding the sources and structures of big data
- Storing big data
- Prepping big data for analysis
Skill Level Beginner
What Is Big Data?
2. How Is Big Data used?
3. Big Data and Data Science
4. Ethics in Big Data
Challenges with anonymity5m 51s
5. Sources and Structures of Big Data
6. Storing Big Data
7. Preparing Data for Analysis
8. Big Data Analysis
Next steps1m 58s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.