Join Barton Poulson for an in-depth discussion in this video Machine-generated data, part of Techniques and Concepts of Big Data.
- View Offline
- In T.S. Eliot's poem, The Love Song…of J. Alfred Prufrock, he has the line…I have heard the mermaid singing,…each to each, I do not think they will sing to me.…I bring this up because it has been estimated…that as much as 95 percent of the world's data…will never be seen by human eyes.…Much of this unseen data is called…M to M data or machine to machine.…The machines are talking to each…other not to be heard by the humans.…Just like Prufrock's mermaids.…Now, let me talk about some of the…sources of machine generated data.…
There's a very long list, this…is not meant to be comprehensive,…but things like when the cell phones…ping to the cell towers to check where they are,…when the satellite radio and the GPS connect…to locate the car or your phone, the RFID…or radio frequency identification tag readings…on billions of small objects, readings from…medical devices and web crawlers and spam bots.…It's especially fun to think about the…electronic spam bots being stopped by the…electronic spam filters, each working against another.…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- What makes big data "big"
- Understanding how big data impacts consumers, businesses, and research
- Exploring the intersection of data science and big data
- Facing big data's ethical challenges
- Understanding the sources and structures of big data
- Storing big data
- Prepping big data for analysis