Join Barton Poulson for an in-depth discussion in this video ETL: Extract, transform, load, part of Techniques and Concepts of Big Data.
- View Offline
- ETL stands for extract, transform and load. …This is a term that developed from data warehousing, …where data typically resided in one or more …large storage systems or data warehouses, …but wasn't analyzed there. …Instead, the data had to be pulled out of storage, …that's the extract stage, and then it had to be converted …to the appropriate format for analyses …and especially if you're pulling data from several …different sources, which may be in different formats, …so you transform it. …And then once it's ready, you then have to load it …as a separate step into the analyses software. …Each of these steps involve significant time. …In fact there are several software vendors …who made most of their money from selling software …that facilitated the ETL process, …when dealing with data warehouses. …And just think for a second of documents that may …be stored in several different formats. …So for instance, if you're looking at text documents, …they can be in Microsoft Word files, …they can be in HTML webpages, they can be in e-mails, …
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- What makes big data "big"
- Understanding how big data impacts consumers, businesses, and research
- Exploring the intersection of data science and big data
- Facing big data's ethical challenges
- Understanding the sources and structures of big data
- Storing big data
- Prepping big data for analysis