Join Barton Poulson for an in-depth discussion in this video Challenges with confidentiality, part of Techniques and Concepts of Big Data.
- View Offline
- In our last movie, we talked about the imporance…and the difficulty of protecting personally identifiable…information through anonymity in big data.…Now, anonymity means that individuals cannot be identified.…Another important element of privacy, however,…is confidentiality for what's called nonpublic information.…In its simplest form, confidentiality means that…regardless of whether individuals can be identified…within the data, their data will not be shared…with people they did not specifically allow to see it.…
Confidentiality's an issue of trust…that makes interactions possible.…For instance, I have given my credit card information…to several online companies because one,…it makes interactions with them much easier…if that information is already stored,…and two, I feel confident that they'll…keep that information private.…There are several exceptions and limits to confidentiality,…however, that need to be discussed.…The first is that in conducting transactions,…companies do share limited amounts of information…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- What makes big data "big"
- Understanding how big data impacts consumers, businesses, and research
- Exploring the intersection of data science and big data
- Facing big data's ethical challenges
- Understanding the sources and structures of big data
- Storing big data
- Prepping big data for analysis