Join Barton Poulson for an in-depth discussion in this video Big data without data science, part of Techniques and Concepts of Big Data.
- View Offline
- In the last movie we talked about data science…without actually having Big Data.…In this movie, we'll take the compliment of that.…We'll look at scenarios in which a person works with…Big Data, but doesn't require…the full data science skill set.…As a way of reminding ourselves, Big Data usually involves…unusual volume, and velocity, and variety in the data.…Data Science also has this little diagram.…It involves statistical skills,…and domain knowledge, and coding ability.…
And the three of them together gets data science.…Now let's take a look at, can you do Big Data…with just two of the data science skills?…How about with just statistics and with coding?…The answer of course is yes.…Because that's where we have machine learning.…Machine learning is a very important area of data science…and this is where a computer program learns…to adapt to new information as it comes in.…The two most familiar examples are spam filters,…where the computer program learns that a particular…kind of email is spam or not based on your own individual…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- What makes big data "big"
- Understanding how big data impacts consumers, businesses, and research
- Exploring the intersection of data science and big data
- Facing big data's ethical challenges
- Understanding the sources and structures of big data
- Storing big data
- Prepping big data for analysis