Join Bill Weinman for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding the architecture, part of HTML5: Local Storage and Offline Applications.
In order to develop HTML5 local storage applications, you'll need to understand the common architecture that each of these solutions share. All of the HTML5 local storage solutions share a roughly similar architecture. The various components of your web application reside on one or more web servers. These servers can be running any operating system and any web server software that you like. The one thing that they all have in common is that they serve up web pages and web objects using the HTTP protocol.
All of the various local storage schemes share this common architecture. So having a basic understanding of this architecture will help you to know where your code fits in the overall picture.
- Understanding storage components of the HTML5 architecture
- Providing client-side storage
- Understanding the Storage() interface
- Keeping context with sessionStorage
- Understanding the Web SQL and Indexed Database APIs
- Creating a local storage database
- Reading, writing, editing, and deleting storage data
- Handling storage events with local storage
- Running applications offline