Join Steve Heffernan for an in-depth discussion in this video Preloading, part of HTML5: Video and Audio in Depth.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
One option we have with HTML5 video is preloading.…Preloading means the browser will begin loading the video data as soon as the…page is loaded instead of waiting until the user clicks Play.…Without preloading, the user might have to wait a little bit while the video…buffers enough data so it doesn't have to buffer again later during playback.…A downside of preloading is that the video data is loaded every time the page is…viewed, even if the user never watches the video.…This can cause waste of bandwidth and unnecessary cost for you and your users,…especially those on mobile devices where data transfer can be expensive.…
So there are good and bad times to use it and we will go over that in a second…but first let's see how it is that we do use it.…To add preloading first let's go back to our code. We're now in the 2-03 folder…of the exercise files.…I need to add the preload attribute and a preload attribute is an enumerated…attribute which means it can take one of a limited number of values.…
- Understanding the differences in media formats
- Preloading, autoplaying, and looping in HTML5
- Setting a video's width and height attributes
- Displaying subtitles and captions
- Generating embed code with an embed code builder
- Encoding files using HandBrake, Firefogg, and VLC
- Creating a load progress bar
- Recognizing Android and iOS issues
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Video and Audio Basics
Understanding the format war3m 53s
2. Embedding Video and Audio
3. Falling Back to Alternative Playback Methods
4. Encoding Audio and Video Files
6. Known Issues and Workarounds
7. Audio and Video in the Wild
Further exploration1m 40s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.