Join Bill Weinman for an in-depth discussion in this video Learning CSS syntax, part of XHTML and HTML Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
In this chapter, we are going to look at the syntax of CSS so you'll know how to…read the CSS that you see and you'll be able to write your own CSS.…So here we have a document that is formatted with CSS and here we have that same…document in the editor and here we have the CSS style sheet.…You'll see we are using an external style sheet that's called in right here and…there's the style sheet there.…This is the same style sheet that we are using throughout this chapter and…so you see it is possible and common to use an external style sheet for…multiple documents.…
It makes it very easy to keep track of the styles and the formatting across…different documents.…Before we get into the syntax of the CSS itself, there's one subject that I'd…like to cover in the XHTML on how the styles are applied.…There are two special tags in XHTML and HTML called span and div.…Div is a block level element and span is an inline element.…So they are used like this.…They don't have any properties of their own.…
They are used for applying styles.…
- Understanding the structure of an HTML or XHTML document
- Creating and using templates
- Controlling white space and line breaks
- Making effective use of tables and frames
- Flowing text around an image
- Formatting tables with CSS
- Creating web pages that work properly across platforms and devices
- Reviewing a case study of a complete web site
Skill Level Beginner
1. Introducing XHTML and HTML
2. Text Tags
3. Image Tags
Using inline images3m 17s
4. Link Tags
9. Creating a Simple Web Page from Scratch
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.